Please feel free to use any of these bio-blurbs:
Erin McKean is the founder of the newly-not-for-profit Wordnik.com, the world’s biggest online dictionary. Before founding Wordnik, she was the editor-in-chief of American Dictionaries for Oxford University Press. Her goal is to make every word in the English language “lookupable” – including the 52% of unique English words that aren’t currently in any dictionary. Erin is the author of three Weird and Wonderful Words books, the best-selling novel The Secret Lives of Dresses, and (most recently) The Hundred Dresses, a field guide to dresses. She’s written regular columns for The Boston Globe and the Wall Street Journal and her writing has also appeared in The New York Times, PAPER, Foreign Affairs, and Sew News. She’s served as an advisor to the American National Corpus, the journal American Speech, the Wikimedia Foundation, and serves on the KPCB Design Council. She blogs at dressaday.com and tweets as @emckean. When you meet her, please tell her your favorite word.
Erin McKean is the founder of Wordnik.com. Previously, she was the editor in chief for American Dictionaries at Oxford University Press, and the editor of the New Oxford American Dictionary, 2E. Her books include Weird and Wonderful Words, More Weird and Wonderful Words, Totally Weird and Wonderful Words, and That’s Amore (which is also a collection of words). The Secret Lives of Dresses is her first novel, and really, her first book where the words are arranged in something other than alphabetical order. The Hundred Dresses, a field guide to dresses, is her first non-wordy nonfiction book. Erin lives in California south of San Francisco and spends her free time reading, sewing, blogging, roller-skating, and arguing about whether robots or zombies would win in a fight (lasers optional). She loves loud prints, quiet people, long books with happy endings, and McVitie’s Milk Chocolate Hobnobs.
Need a Picture?
You can use any of these pictures, as long as you include the photo credit lines.
- A Chat With Erin McKean, (Wordsmith.org, July 20, 2005)
- Caution: Words at Work, (UChicago Magazine, October 2006)
- A Woman of Many Words, (Originally published in Portfolio magazine, October 2007)
- Lexicographer Extraordinaire & Wordnik Founder – Our Interview with Erin Mckean, (IDoneThis, January 2012)
- Fashion Jargon: A tFS Interview with Wordsmith Erin McKean, (The Fashion Spot, February 1, 2012)
- Best Job Ever: Lexicographer Erin McKean of Wordnik.com, (ModCloth blog, October 2012) *Confessions of a Digital Packrat: ALCTS President’s Program with Erin McKean, (ALCTS Online, July 2013)
- ERIN MCKEAN: THE DICTIONARY EDITOR WHO WANTS YOU TO INVENT MORE WORDS, (Ozy.com, May 2014)
- 10 Questions: Erin McKean, founder, Reverb, (Fortune, May 2014)
- This month we’re talking to Erin McKean about her ideal dictionary, (Chicago Manual of Style Online, March 2015)
- The Setup: Erin McKean, (The Setup, April 9, 2015)
- Interview with Erin McKean, (TermCoord Blog)
- Spending Time with Erin McKean, September 2015